Skip Navigation

How to Prevent Your Child from Swallowing Toothpaste

Swallowing Toothpaste

Swallowing small amounts of toothpaste is okay, but if your child is ingesting a large amount, it could be a problem.

Everyone understands the importance of getting children to start brushing their teeth. Good dental hygiene habits start early and will last a lifetime. But some parents find out that some children can get more out of brushing their teeth than simple cleaning. Some kids take this as an opportunity for a little snack! Children’s toothpaste is often available in flavors such as bubblegum or candy which can tempt them to swallow it. Small amounts of swallowing are considered safe, but ingesting large amounts of toothpaste can cause some problems. So here are some tips for parents to help break their child’s habit of swallowing toothpaste.

Take Charge

The best way to prevent your child from swallowing toothpaste is taking the initiative by applying the right amount of it to the toothbrush yourself while storing the container out of reach when not in use. You can also brush your teeth alongside your child and encourage them to imitate you. This is a great way to teach your child great dental hygiene habits, such as the proper angle to hold a toothbrush, the correct length of time for brushing, and spitting out the toothpaste when they’re done. Even if you apply a small amount of toothpaste such that it is small enough to swallow safely, continue to reinforce the idea that toothpaste is not meant to be swallowed!

Switch Toothpaste Flavors

Switching to a strong, mint-flavored toothpaste from the bubblegum or candy-flavored varieties may be another way to discourage swallowing. You should be careful, though. Stronger flavors are designed for adults and older children, so you run the risk of turning younger children off completely from brushing or using toothpaste at all.

Be Patient!

Many other bad habits such as thumb-sucking simply need time for the child to outgrow and swallowing toothpaste is no exception. The desire to swallow toothpaste may simply be a passing phase in your child’s life so be patient with them. Of course, if your child does happen to consume a great deal of toothpaste, you should contact a poison control center immediately.

You Can Trust Olney Dental for All of Your Oral Care Needs

For all of your oral care questions and concerns, Olney dental has the expertise and professionalism to get them the answers they need. Olney Dental is ready to supply you with expert service in a professional environment. Schedule an appointment online today! For more information on how we can give your family the best dentist experience available, give us a call at (301) 250-1057 or contact us online. For more dental tips, follow us on FacebookTwitterGoogle+YouTube, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, January 6th, 2017 at . Both comments and pings are currently closed.